Sunday, February 19, 2006

Stream of consciousness

I am getting ready to go for a hike ..and I already feel tired ..feels like I’m putting on a space suit ..I got the thermal layer on ..middle layer ..and outer shell. I go downstairs ..and into the entry hall ..everything is spinning. I step out on the porch ..lace up my boots ..seal the hatch ..and start walking. I feel the ground beneath my feet ..but my head is somewhere else. I read once that Timothy Leary had a Swami to help keep him grounded. I don’t have a Swami ..just a trail ..and I don’t know where I’m going ..just following the flow ..the trail switches back and forth ..and I’m going slow ..my feet start to sink down and spring up as I go ..a thick cushion of leaves covers the ground ..feels like I’m walking on the moon ..makes me laugh ..when that’s not enough ..I howl ..this is a woodsy area ..howling is allowed .. I go over a bridge ..above a dry creek bed ..I slide down and sit on the edge ..next to a willow tree ..and tell myself to pay attention ..birds are playing here ..they fly by in pairs ..rustling the leaves around me ..delicate flowers grow between heavy stones ..reminds me of something Lao Tsu once said: “what's softest in the world ..drives what’s hardest” ..and I think about the water that wore down these boulders ..and how something as delicate as thought can overcome obstacles.

1 comment:

Daijobu ne said...

haha... just dont be mistaken as the Yeti...

it's nice to experience quietness and often much needed oneness.