Thursday, February 2, 2006

At the movies

I just finished reading ‘Memoirs of a Geisha’ ..it’s a wonderful story ..beautifully told. Now I want to go see the movie before the moment passes ..and I forget about it ..and it stops playing at the local theater ..which will be at 4:30 this afternoon ..I rush downtown wondering whether I should have purchased my ticket online ..I get to the theater and there’s hardly anyone there ..no lines ..very cool ..reminds me that I don't live in LA anymore. I climb the stairs because it’s ‘stadium seating’ ..which is also very cool because I know this is going to be a real treat for my senses ..what did Anastasia call it .. ‘eye candy’ ..well, if it’s anything like the images in my head ..I can’t wait. And I wasn’t disappointed. At first, it seemed like the movie was going in fast motion ..until I realized it wasn’t the movie ..it was me ..I was rushing it. Since the book was still fresh in my mind ..I kept anticipating the next scene ..instead of enjoying the one in front of me ..I made a conscious effort to stop doing this ..and managed to slow it down enough to take pleasure in how beautifully they recreated life in pre-war Japan ~ the floating worlds of Kyoto ~ the teahouses ~ the gardens ~ the cherry blossoms ~ the squishy things ~ the way geishas walk ~ stepping stones across a pond ~ dancing to the shamisen ~ rickshaws winding through narrow streets and outdoor markets ~ the smell of fish ~ glowing lanterns ~ tile roofs ~ flowing colors and textures of kimonos ~ white faces ~ ambition ~ treachery and intrigue ~ elegance and trash. I’d go see it again in a flash.

1 comment:

NeverEnough said...

Thanks for not giving the movie away - I haven't seen it yet and want to, especially since you gave it such a good review.