Sunday, June 15, 2008

What's that smell

Joe is helping me repair the deck ~ we’re replacing boards ~ pounding nails ~ and I’m hammering dimples into whatever good wood is left. We sealed it with some kind of new preservative I’ve never heard of ~ it’s environmentally friendly ~ which means it cures by sunlight ~ and takes forever to dry. This morning I can really smell it ~ I open the window and I’m like ~ uh oh ..I had no idea it was gonna smell like this ~ it’s not bad ~ I mean, to me ..it smells like a redwood forest ~ a really pungent redwood forest ~ later on I find out that it only smells that way to me because I associate it with my redwood deck ~ to my neighbor Cezar, it smells like an electrical fire ~ which I suspect is because he’s around sound equipment all the time ~ I apologize and tell him I had no idea it was gonna smell that way ~ and he’s like “no problémo, dude” ~ he says when he discovered it wasn't a fire ~ he calmed down and felt better ~ I ask Joe what he thinks it smells like ~ and he says fiberglass ~ and I’m thinking surfboards ~ so now I’m afraid to ask my plumber Arturo what he thinks.

8 comments:

Red said...

That is incredible. The power of the mind.

Lee William said...

Incredible indeed ..I've heard that our sense of smell is the oldest, most powerful ..and most mysterious ..thanks

Shimmerrings said...

Rofl... this is hilarious!

Lee William said...

Shimmerrings ~ glad to hear I can make you laugh .. :)

thanks

Ande said...

I have been to the Reedwoods once. It's a beautiful smell. Since I live in Europe I haven't visited California for quite a while. When I was younger North Cal was a slightly mystical place from1960s. Tell me does the place retain some of it's old gleam?

Jen said...

Hi Lee! I’ve never encountered a redwood tree in my life; still I could really imagine the smell while reading your text! It’s wonderfully lively and funny. Your blog is very interesting and your music taste is also really good.

Thanks for your nice comments on my blog. Feedback is so important.

/Jen

Jen said...

As I find your blog so well-written and interesting I'll add it to my list now!

/Jen

Lee William said...

Thanks Jen ~ I appreciate your comments .. and your interest in music ~ and your impression of the redwoods

My list of favourite musicians keeps getting longer