Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fire on the mountain

My sanctuary is under fire ~ and if the wind changes direction ~ it’ll be toast. Tassajara is a Zen monastery located in the Big Sur wilderness ~ 14 miles from the nearest paved road ~ and surrounded by the Los Padres National Forest ~ which is on fire right now. I’ve been receiving messages over the Internet from people who live nearby. Apparently evacuation orders were issued ~ but the monks chose to stay ~ setting up barricades ~ and a sprinkler system ~ among other things. So, the local sheriff asked them to provide the names of their dentist ~ for identification ~ and a team of firefighters has taken up residence ~ being fed in the monastery kitchen ~ mainly rice and vegetables. Although Buddhist monks are known for self-sacrifice ~ they’re no fools ~ if things get too dangerous they’re going to bail alongside the firefighters ~ none of them wants to risk their life to save a building ~ that’s not where they’re at. Nevertheless, my heart grieves ~ admittedly for the loss that I may suffer ~ but also for the residents of Big Sur who have already lost their homes. One person I heard from says that my other sanctuary ~ the Esalen Institute ~ is safe for now ~ even so ~ they’ve been ordered to evacuate as well.

Click on photo to enlarge

Photo courtesy of ZenCenter

6 comments:

Ande said...

That's terrible Lee. Big Sur is truley one of the worlds most fantastic places. Let's hope the wind don't change!

Red said...

We here in Florida, usually have a few days notice before we have to cut loose. And I sit here when I see folks that have less than an hour to get out due to floods and fires. And I wonder what would I grab if I only had one hour to get out.

Tought decisions to make. I guess the fmaily would be first, but then they could grab some things as well.

I will be keeping an eye on the news and hope all goes well for you Lee.

Lee William said...

Thanks everyone ..!

They have a website you can follow ~~> Big Sur Fire

Shimmerrings said...

How are the fires? Did they by-pass the monestary?

Lee William said...

The fires are still burning ~ but not moving because of the fog and a favorable wind ~ the zen monastary is still sweating ~ but they have time to reinforce barriers and such ..

Lee William said...

monastary fire update ~> Tassajara