Thursday, June 19, 2008

Betrayal

My father made me a promise ..he said that he was prepared to help pay the cost of my stepdaughter’s college education ..just like he was prepared to do for all of his grandchildren. He even told me that he considered Vanessa to be like a granddaughter to him. You cannot imagine the joy I felt ..for the first time I felt like I was part of a family.

Vanessa completed Santa Barbara City College with honors. Her artwork was exhibited in shows and museums both on campus and around the community. I felt proud at each award ceremony I attended in her honor. I encouraged her to pursue her dreams ..cost was no object. She was admitted to the prestigious Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. I was thrilled ..all the major companies hire talent from there. I had no doubt Vanessa would be successful.

That’s when my father withdrew his offer. He told me it was ‘unreasonable’ to expect him to pay for her college education. Now he felt like she was taking advantage of him and swore he wouldn’t pay her a dime ..after all, nobody helped put him through school. I felt sunk. This was a deal he made with me. Vanessa wasn’t counting on him for anything ..in fact, she was already applying for grants and scholarships. No, it wasn’t her that he was refusing to help ..it was me.

8 comments:

Danette said...

How can anyone put a price on education? You are in my thoughts.

Lee William said...

Thank you, yeah,it’s like tuition: $10,000 ..books: $1,000..graduation: p r i c e l e s s

Anna P. said...

What happened to her? I mean it wasn't like the end of the world or anything.

Lee William said...

Hey Anna ~ No, it wasn't. She fininshed Art Center in two years ..then got hired to work at a design firm in Portland. Thanks ..

msb said...

Aren't Dad's strange sometimes? I won't tell my Father about the child I put up for adoption. My sister wants me to. But I don't want her to bare any sorrow that he might inflict because she is my daughter. I believe my father dislikes me because I am so much like him and he dislikes himself soo much. Theres my dime store human condition thought for the day. I hope alls well on your side of the world.

Lee William said...

Dakini ~ funny you should say that ~ I believe the same thing about my father ~ I guess that's worth twenty cents now ~ :)

Shimmerrings said...

I'm so sorry for the bad feel of it all... I know it doesn't help much to know what you know, regarding, perhaps, his own dislike for himself, or anyone else like him... because you still want that expression of love and acceptance. It would be so easy if we could just accept what we get, without expectation... but, we can't seem to escape what we want or need.

Love to you, friend :)

I'm glad to hear she graduated and did well. It's as if life is just about dealing with these emotions, isn't it... and, sometimes it is on our deathbed before we come to terms with them. It is, indeed, about the journey.

Lee William said...

The journey indeed .. it is the feeling of what happens that I struggle with the most.

Thank you my friend