Sunday, October 14, 2007

Esalen (day three)

My roommate Gregg and I sit in the hot springs until 3 am ~ having another late night discussion ~ he’s in the middle of doing research for a book he’s writing ~ and says that humans are not the most intelligent species on earth ~ at best ~ we come in a distant third ~ whales and dolphins are much smarter ~ in fact, he says, whales evolved wireless Internet millions of years before Al Gore ~ they communicate with each other by sending ‘sonar messages’ ~ across a world wide web ~ that can be heard by whales in any ocean on the planet ~ he has physical evidence to prove it ~ and shows me 8 by 10 glossy photos of a whale’s brain ~ pretty impressive ~ much more convoluted than a human ~ I ask him if it's because they have such a large body to control ~ he says no ~very little of it is ‘motor cortex’ ~ those functions were distributed to areas outside the brain a long time ago. Now humans, he believes, operate from a much lower part of the brain ~ called the ‘reptilian brain’ ~ and that’s what drives our rational ‘cortical’ brain ~ not the other way around ~ as we like to think ~ he goes on to tell me that these lower brain areas assign ‘addresses’ and add ‘passion’ to information entering memory ~ that’s why feelings and people are such wonderful memory prompts ~ I sit fascinated by all of this ~ afterwards, he gives me a gift ~ a book called ‘Up from Dragons’ by Dorion Sagan ~ I’m speechless ~ I remember reading ‘Dragons of Eden’ in college ~ written by his late father Carl Sagan ~ and was fascinated then too ~ I haven’t seen anything like it since ~ until now anyway ~ Gregg is the most interesting part of this trip ~ I tell him so ~ and we hug before he disappears down highway one ~ I must remember to send him a copy of “Defending the Cavewoman”.

Workshop: I blow-off another morning session ~ without feeling the least bit guilty ~ during afternoon meditation I catch a glimpse of ‘simultaneous experience’ ~ the swoosh of an ocean wave ~ the laughter of children playing ~ the sight of other people meditating ~ the smell of a blue sky (!?) ~ all occurring at the same time ~ then I watch my mind quickly put it in order the way it usually does ~ the woman sitting next to me gasps ~ says she experienced the same thing ~ I tell her we’ll call them ‘visions of Johanna’ ~ because that’s her name ~ as well as the title of an old Bob Dylan song that I’d forgotten about ~ until now anyway.

2 comments:

elise said...

the location sounds breath taking. and a meditation work shop sounds really cool...

Lee William said...

breath taking it is ..since there are no computers (or cell phones, television or radio) I'm slowly posting my notes from santa cruz this week ..so pleeze stay tuned ..there's more to come ..and thanks for stopping by .. :)