Monday, July 25, 2005

Hans and Fabian

Cap'm Hans took us on a leisurely cruise around the Bodensee in his little steamboat. How relaxing..! The water comes up to just inches below the rail allowing me to run my fingers through it. The Cap’m told me the Bodensee is 187 kilometers around ..about 116 miles. Hmmm, that’s bigger than Lake Tahoe, which is only 72 miles around. No way, my sister Nancy says. Ja, Tahoe only seems bigger because the road is more winding and we get only glimpses of it whereas we can see more of the Bodensee at one time. Afterwards, we sat at an outdoor restaurant on Wasserburg harbour and chatted.

I was chatting with Fabian because we both speak French. I found her attractive, but didn't let on ..she's Cap’m Hans' girlfriend. However, considering their tolerance for multiple partners around here ..he still lives with his wife .. I was considering asking for her number ..but then I thought it would be more discreet to get it from Bitz. Anyway, she’s originally from ‘Brittany’ ..the northern region of France. She tells me that people in Brittany feel closer to England. They despise Paris and everything south of it. That’s because the region has passed back and forth between the two countries throughout centuries of war. I told her that the Southern States of America still feel that way about the North ..some 125 years after the civil war. She didn’t know that ..so, I went on to explain how the California Coast, as well as the Pacific Northwest, may some day secede from the U.S. government. The culture of the west is becoming just so much different than the culture of the east. She was astonished to hear that ..just as I was surprised to hear about the people of Brittany.

No comments: