Friday, July 15, 2005

Brother Jeff

My brother Jeff and I watched a Peter Gabriel concert DVD ..the same show he saw last year at the outdoor theater on the lake in Bregenz, Austria. Very high-tech performance art. Reminds me of the stuff he did with Laurie Anderson on his ‘So’ CD. Next we listen to ‘Alter Bridge’ ..made up of former members of ‘Creed’ ..which was the best selling group of the nineties ..which is a surprise. Very cool tho ..they’re alternately soft, folksy and hard. We also listen to Jack Johnson, who is definitely folk-jazz ..which is very popular in Germany right now. I like him. Later on we hear his music playing at a nearby beer garden. Over here, I can participate in online communities built around just about anything: music ..poetry ..satellite imagery ..streaming video ..the web of science and the stream of consciousness. Sites that promote ‘social interactions’ rule the net. Even in this small Bavarian town near the Alps ..information connects. I suggest this as a topic for Jeff’s senior thesis. Nah, he says ..not technical enough. He’s working on a degree in network engineering.

No comments: