Wednesday, January 28, 2009

zen notes

I’m doing deep breathing exercises and noticing how the air meets resistance when I breathe in. So, I keep going until I feel the air flowing more freely. Now, I hear the swoosh of traffic coming through a small opening in the window ~ splashing water from a recent rain. I hear ringing in my ears ~ tinnitus from years of rock concerts. It doesn’t bother me; I still listen to music at high volume. When I pay attention, I notice how it masks the other sounds in the room. Then I think about how it interferes with voices on television ~ or conversations in a crowded room. I watch this train of thought flow until it vanishes. Next, I hear the sound of my internal editor going around in a crazy loop ..revising words on a paper I’m writing. When I pay closer attention, it gets self-conscious, picks up a notebook computer ..and goes into another room. I’m sitting here wondering what else is going to happen ..not anticipating anything specific.

3 comments:

brad4d said...

I was just leaving Osmosis enzyme baths as Teller walked up to the porch, I couldn't help but ask, "Did you come for the paradox special?"

What do you mean? (I heard him talk!)

"I'm leaving with a stimulating relaxation."

He laughs.

lee said...

Paradox special ..(lol)

How true, relaxing can sometimes be brutal

Red said...

I am someone who has no flipping clue how to meditate. But breath I can do.

I have started deep breathing every night when I get in bed. I breathe 2 different ways and I tell you what. I cannot remember how I end up falling asleep.