Monday, January 5, 2009

neuro notes

I think my brain works like a paleontologist ..piecing together the world from tiny fragments of information that have been frozen, chipped away ..then passed through sensory pathways the size of nano-tubes. Not only am I dealing with an extremely small, and highly selective sample ..it doesn’t last that long, only about 125 milliseconds I am told. Then it’s time to refresh the system and let a new bit-stream through. When I consider the tremendous amount of information that’s out there ..I’m convinced that my senses must have relatively narrow bandwidth. The fact that I can recognize anything at all is due to the high-speed integration power of a fairly recent invention called the cerebral cortex. It’s a device that allows me to see the whole elephant ..while rubbing only part of it’s belly. Problem is ..I don’t always construct the docile animal that's there ..sometimes I build a ferocious wildebeast instead.

5 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

Boy do you have some re-conditioning to do, eh... I like the way you see us humans as computers... a nice way to understand the energy behind the miracles that we are... or our disasters? Lol...

lee said...

Shimmerrings ~ humans are multifaceted ..I can’t see them from a single point of view ..writing is a limiting factor .. I’m trying to describe current findings in neuroscience ..by borrowing from the language of computer science. Sounds awfully mechanistic, I know.

lee said...

Shimmerrings ~ I also find very close similarities between modern-day neuroscience and the ancient teachings of Buddha.

Shimmerrings said...

Yes, I understood what you were getting at... and I'm not surprised that you find similarities with the ancient teachings of Buddha, since it seems that we are only now discovering what was already known eons ago. Maybe you could make some postings on that, too... get deeper, more specific...

lee said...

Shimmerrings ~ I wasn’t trying to be condescending ..just unsure how I come across in writing sometimes. I appreciate your suggestion .. I will post my ideas on zen and the discoveries of neuroscience. I apologize for not stopping by your blog lately ..I’ve hardly had time to tie my shoelaces ~ Lee