Friday, January 2, 2009

zen notes

I sometimes refer to the ‘mediation session’ as an ‘observation period’. I think observation is a good English word for meditation. In western psychology they have what is know as the method of ‘naturalistic observation’. It helps researchers see what develops, in a natural setting, with as little interference as possible. I think this is a very good way to understand meditation. Interference, in the form of judgment and interpretation, happens so fast ..we rarely get a glimpse of things as they are. So, I find it helpful to meditate, look inside, and observe my own mental and emotional activity, without judgment or interference, for a few moments each day.

(There, I hope that doesn't sound too much like a Stuart Smalley affirmation)

4 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

I wish I could find the private space to do stuff like that (I will have to create the space)... this year I am determined to operate out of love (this will require much inner reflecting). Last night I happened onto an online Kundalini Yoga site (but I found ways to talk myself out of that, too). I've been listening to tantric and eastern kirtin type music (I think that's what you call those chants and responses). I find both very soothing.

:)

Happy New Year!

elise said...

I'm back dear friend.

With personal observation, and hopefully no more interference.

I have always been jealous of those who could find the peace of meditate. You must be one of the lucky ones.

lee said...

Shimmerings ~ that does sound soothing. I've been told there’s just as much space in a crowded deli as a remote mountaintop ..so, wherever I have to wait is a good place.

I wish you the best of everything in the new year ~ Lee

lee said...

Elise ~ it does feel like seeing a dear friend again.

I wish meditation were peaceful. I find it difficult, even disturbing ..to just sit with myself. I’m lousy ..but I’m practicing.