Friday, February 23, 2007

Sunset in Big Sur

I’m sitting in the baths of Esalen ~ on the edge of a cliff ~ above the pacific ocean ~ watching the sun set ~ and reminding myself that the world is spinning ~ I must have said it out loud because Jim replies that I better hold on ..it’s slippery ~ laughter ~ no worries ..look ..no hands ~ more laughter ~ water splashes over the side and I watch it disappear into space ~ someone asks what I thought about the workshop ~ what ~ you know, this afternoon ~ I don’t remember ~ laughter ~ look, I’m only dealing with what’s in front of me right now ~ laughter ~ I inhale and pass it to Alexandra and Dieter ~ who are discussing plans to leave tomorrow ~ fly to Mexico ~ take a bus to Oaxaca ~ and lie on the beach at Puerto Escondido. "Sounds cool" I tell them "..but, don’t let it interfere with your view of the stars tonight." Alexandra laughs but I have the feeling Dieter thinks I’m strange ~ I guess they better leave soon before I get anymore attracted to her ~ she has a way of making you feel warm ~ by paying attention ~ not acting like there’s somewhere else she’d rather be ~ whereas me, I have difficulty maintaining eye contact ~ and tend to drift until it’s my turn to talk ~ I’m getting better ~ now I listen to people so I have something to write about later.

2 comments:

elise said...

i've always been a drifter between the eyes.

Eye contact distracts me from what is being said, usually the eyes and the mouth are saying so many different things, being quite difficult to follow.

Lee William said...

Thank you for your comment ..you know, I hadn't thought of that ..it’s like trying to watch different channels at the same time ..you're right ..that’s difficult to follow ..thank you so much ..Lee