Friday, February 16, 2007

More passing thoughts

There’s a little black spot on the horizon ..about the size of a pea ..floating on the line that separates the sky from the sea. It wasn’t there yesterday. When I look through the telescope, I see a black hole with daylight swirling around it and disappearing into it like water going down the drain. Perhaps aliens landed to get a drink ..sucking up the local atmosphere ..replenishing themselves for the trip home ..wherever that may be. I sit back and watch the moments of the day evaporate away ..and wonder where they go. Perhaps shooting into another dimension like vapor ..cleansing the body of someone taking a shower in a distant galaxy. Perhaps they vanish through a portal in my head ..and into someone else’s head ..I sure don’t remember anything. I wonder if my brain waves persist ..rippling through space like radio broadcasts ..and if there’s a curious entity listening somewhere ..probing my state of mind ..replying with signals that wind up as my next passing thought. Like, sometimes when I think I’m getting old and unbearable to be around ..a thought comes out of nowhere reminding me that Karla and Andy enjoy my company. When I think the pain in my head is a tumor .. another message arrives saying that it’s just some stagnate pool of thought that hasn’t found it’s way out ..let it go. When I believe real estate developers are destroying my life .. I hear someone saying they’re just adding another layer of life. But that means more neighbors monitoring and criticizing me. No, those voices are your own. Your parents quit playing that role a long time ago.

2 comments:

elise said...

I see a black hole with daylight swirling around it and disappearing like water down the drain.

god i wish i had come up with that myself. truly your words are mesmerizing.

Lee William said...

Thank you so much ..I love the word ‘mesmerizing’ ..it sounds so refreshing ..and so much better than the word 'boring' ..which is what I usually hear ..you get a great big hug for that .. :)