Thursday, February 15, 2007

Passing thoughts

Out here on the deck there’s cool air and sunshine ..I feel the buzz and hum of a passing day ..just like any other day. Across the creek a gardener washes out his pail ..it makes a loud splash ..at the same time, inside the house, my stereo makes a loud pop and goes quiet ..not the gardeners fault I hear myself say ..why did I say that ..? Because, for a fraction of an instant, the two sounds came together in my head ..and actually got connected in a causal relationship ..until the absurdity of it strikes me the next instant ..I think it’s the nature of my mind to briefly consider all possibilities before eliminating the unlikely and absurd. Now I hear kids playing in the parkway ..I can’t see them but I hear the sound of skateboards going clack clack clack ..and someone shouting ‘I can do it ..I can do it ..’ I immediately connect the sound with my concept of ‘play’ ..with no consequence other that to aid childhood development. Now I remember hiking with Karla and Andy yesterday ..and I’m thinking about Karla’s education ..and Andy’s instincts. Andy doesn’t have to learn fractions ..and Karla doesn’t automatically track birds ..but I try to relate fractions to something Karla almost instinctively knows ..like quartering cows at the butcher’s shop. A grizzly image, I agree ..even more so when I consider how much her mother enjoyed just watching cows graze ..and how Karla collects everything cow-like. Yesterday was her mother’s birthday ..Valentines day ..she would have been 38 years old if a car hadn’t crashed into her in Monterrey, Mexico ..several years ago.

No comments: