Friday, November 11, 2005

Walking path

I used to go to the Zen center before they moved away. Sometimes they would lead us in 'walking meditation' where we would walk mindfully through the hall ..stopping at the statues of various bodhisattvas, like Kanzeon and Manjusri ..and bowing out of respect for their teachings. Now I practice walking meditation on a path that starts behind my house. Part of it passes through a botanical garden where I’ve learned the names of some of the trees growing along the side. So now, I stop and pay hommage to things like the Chinese bamboo ..the Hollyleaf Cherry ..the Mountain Ebony ..the Himalayan Indigo ..a giant succulent ..and all of it's children and grandchildren growing wild on either side. I mean, what would my walking path be without them.

No comments: