Friday, November 25, 2005

Higher education

When I was in college ..I regarded learning as it’s own reward. I felt like an explorer with a big curiosity to fill. I loved books ..ideas ..theories ..arguments and discoveries. I know that this sounds like a lot of sentimentalist bullshit – most students I talk to today consider higher education a distasteful digression on the way to landing a job making big bucks. Well, you know ..fortunes come and go ..but a resilient mind doesn’t crumble ..it adapts. College is not just a trade school ..it’s a place where you learn how to actively explore ..be receptive and continually refresh your mind. I find these things more valuable than any job skill I ever learned. Society and technology change too fast ..there’s not many jobs skills worth hanging on to.

2 comments:

Newsandseduction said...

true. one indian author said (booker prize winning) she does not believe in professions but oly professionalism. But i wondered what she meant. Is it what you said in your this blog?

Lee William said...

Thank you for your comment news guy. I don’t know what the author meant by “professionalism” ..the dictionary defines it as “competence in a vocation”. What I was trying to say about college is that ..in addition to teaching vocational skills ..it makes life more interesting ..and that’s a benefit in any profession.