Sunday, November 13, 2005

Mi Ahijada

While I was married, my wife Laura and I would travel to Mexico and visit her family. On one of these trips, we baptized her niece Karla, the daughter of her sister Evelyn –becoming the child’s Godparents. In Mexico, that makes you the adoptive parents in case anything happens. Karla was six years old then. Laura and I split up four years ago ..and we haven’t seen each other since. Well, that changed last Friday while I was walking home from the market. A gray truck pulls up with a little girl waving at me from the passenger window. I walk over to see if they needed any help when I realize that Laura is driving and the little girl is Karla – mi Ahijada! Her mother Evelyn was killed in an auto accident ..and no one knows much about the father. Karla wanted to see her Padrino (Godfather). We hugged and kissed. I was in shock. Their story brought me to tears. Karla now lives with Laura in Ventura, California. Her 12th birthday is three days away and I’m wondering what to get her.

2 comments:

NeverEnough said...

That's sad... But great that she found you. It all happens for a reason I guess.

Lee William said...

i got her a walkman because i didn't know if she had an apple computer for an iPod