Thursday, November 3, 2005

Gina

Gina is from Malaysia ..she is studying Zoology ..specializing in birds of the coast. I asked her what she thought about the theory that birds evolved from dinosaurs. She said: “It’s a fact that birds evolved from dinosaurs – not just a theory”. Pelicans are the closest to dinosaurs “predators of the sea” she called them. Hey, no quarrels from me ..I’ve seen them hunt. “They look pretty efficient” I commented. “Oh yeah” she said, “They communicate telepathically ..that’s why they can take off and fly in such tight formations.” OK ..I was afraid to ask whether that was a fact or a theory. She told me a lot of other things about birds. Let’s see, raptors became hawks ..the black birds I see on the shore all the time are called “cormorants”. She said they’re so smart that they can count ..I forgot to ask what. Pelicans fly in formation by drafting like cyclists ..the ones in front produce an updraft that allows the ones in back to float ..the leaders will eventually peel off and take their turn in back to rest.

1 comment:

NeverEnough said...

That's pretty interesting stuff. I just learned something!