Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Infinite summer

Ahhhh, it feels like ‘Tucson by the sea’ ..this is the real summer season in Santa Barbara ..I’ve been in the water almost every day. There’s a local condition known as an ‘offshore flow’ where hot air blows down from the mountains ..pushing cold ‘marine air’ out to sea. It makes the beach feel like the desert. I did some exploring. It turns out that the offshore flow is part of a larger weather system that moves in a circle ..if there’s an off-shore flow here – it means there’s an on-shore flow somewhere else. Sure enough, I watched a giant fogbank move out to sea this morning ..travel up the coast ..then loop back on shore further north ..around Hollister Ranch ..where I sat on a cliff and watched it roll over me this afternoon.

No comments: