Sunday, September 18, 2005

Wharf rat

I am able to get along with the crazy people living down by the wharf. We share similar delusions. Some of them seem to have adjusted to their delusions ..as obsessive and irrational as they may sound. Charlie Swift was an engineer ..spent 20 years in industrial design. He left his wife at home one night to buy a bottle of wine ..and didn't return. He thinks she's still waiting for him ..but he’s afraid to go home because of the trashing he'll get. He's been imagining it since ’93. Those were the days when he drank cabernet. Now his wine of choice is burgundy. Unlike people I meet at the clubs, I don't believe I've ever met a wharf person who says there's a brand of wine that's beneath them to drink.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: A new book by T.C. Boyle called ‘Tooth and Claw’ sounds good if you want to read more about people trapped by obsessive-compulsive behavior. Brain Lock by Dr. Jeffrey M. Schwartz, is a good book if you want to read about obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) from a clinical viewpoint. It is highly readable and uses case studies to describe methods for helping people suffering with OCD.

2 comments:

Rusha said...

Nice suggestions.. I have ODC.. Now mild but growing...Its hereditary I think.. But I don't really know if that's possible..My mother has an almost extreme form of it paired with a short term memory loss... Dad says its in the family... I'm just 18.. Only time can tell whats in store for me..

Lee William said...

Rusha ~ I think everybody has a little OCD in them . heredity plays a part ..as well as experience ..but the mind is bigger. I’m hopeful that you’ll recognize the thoughts and feelings that give rise to OCD ..and dismiss them ~ Lee