Monday, September 5, 2005

Neuro satisfaction

Ever since the MTV Video Awards, the tune “Don’t wanna be an American Idiot” keeps looping through my brain. Now it’s become a mantra for me to enroll at the local college ..and take some computer courses. So far, it’s been challenging. Since I don’t program for a living ..what may be small, routine steps for a classmate are like major undertakings for me. Things like event-handling and multi-threading. So, it’s gonna be slow. Satisfying maybe ..but definitely slow. Satisfaction is a feeling I only get when I do something challenging anyway. It doesn’t last long ..and I become quickly dissatisfied again. According to neuroscientists, satisfaction is the result of neurotransmitters (dopamine and cortisol) flooding my brain whenever I accomplish something new. It’s a temporary state that needs refreshing from time to time. Oh well, I hope that these classes are more satisfying than overwhelming. Otherwise, somewhere down the line I'll be submitting an entry called 'Neuro nightmare'.

No comments: