Sunday, September 25, 2005

Soundtrack

I woke up this morning feeling strange. Each moment arriving in a flash ..disconnected from the last. I eat a sloppy breakfast of Quaker oats and spilled coffee. I feel numb and I’m having trouble connecting to my surroundings ..and getting things done ..like cutting fruit for my cereal. I hear my brain shouting ‘wakeup ..wakeup !!!’ I can barely operate the sound system. I’m sitting on the deck feeling woozy ..but after awhile the tunes start to register and my thoughts fall into step ..almost like a soundtrack. I hear songs with phrases like: “don’t be shy ..let your feelings roll on by ..in your eyes ..in the arms of the angels ” and I realize how powerful a soundtrack can be ..music invokes memories and feelings that can make a movie more or less accessible ..heightening receptivity to the visual images flashing by. All I need is the right soundtrack.

4 comments:

Mona said...

I agree with the soundtrack idea. And sometimes, we just need to muck through those weird disconnected feelings...and the music gives us such a good pathway to transition from this moment to a better one. Excellent post. Lee, thanks for visiting my blog!

Lee William said...

Mona ~ Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Music is such a powerful force in my life ..I was listening to the soundtracks from ‘City of Angels’ and ‘Harold and Maude’ ..as well as something by ‘Peter Gabriel’ when I wrote this. Weird or not, I try and keep track of moments . My current obsession is folk and celtic music ~ Lee

NeverEnough said...

Very beautiful and true...

Lee William said...

NeverEnough ~ How sweet of you ..my soundtrack today is 'Steady On' by Shawn Colvin