Friday, May 13, 2005

Uncle John

Uncle John and his wife Carmen came up today. He’s not really my uncle ..and everybody calls him ‘Jack’ ..but ‘Uncle John’s Band’ is one of my favorite songs and Jack is one of my favorite people ..so, there you go. Today they are a ‘couple on vacation’ ..no hurries. We sit and talk ..drinking iced tea and beer on the pier’. They both like to read and say they do it a lot. That doesn’t surprise me though ..I always remember Uncle John with a book in his hand. He was the one who read passages out loud from Khalil Gibran during acid trips in the desert. Now they read English Literature –mostly mysteries and detective stories. Thomas Merton is on Carmen’s list of people to read next. Uncle John gets up around 4 a.m. every morning to be at a job site that could be anywhere in Southern Cal –like the Port of Los Angeles or Saint Mary’s Hospital in Long Beach. He’s a field supervisor and says he enjoys the challenge of dealing with new situations all the time ..I’m not sure Carmen likes him so far from home though. But that’s conjecture on my part. He’s still good natured and easy-going ..I don’t think much bothers him and I can’t recall ever seeing him angry. He looks both solid and flexible. Like an Oak. They like El Capitan and go camping there regularly ..except this year. Instead, they are going to drive up to Cloverdale and visit the Hay’s. “Little John is a seven year old boy in the body of a twenty year old” says Carmen. “He loves structure and routine” says Jack ..first he makes his bed ..then washes the dishes ..followed by the laundry –and pizza on Friday. He also likes computer games and karate –oh, and riding a bicycle ..especially in the morning at El Capitan ..with his father. When I think back, Jack was always a morning person –says that’s when it feels the freshest. I think it’s interesting that Little John has a strong sense of order ..hmmm, karate requires so much discipline and concentration. I wonder if he’s able to see things to completion. Probably so. Carmen says he’s getting better. Everybody finds a way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the writeup. Hope to see you again soon.
Uncle John

Bill Robertson said...

Thanks Uncle John ..