Thursday, May 12, 2005

Big walk

Walking up a twisty mountain trail with just enough presence of mind to lower the volume in my head and give my senses a boost. The trail switches back and forth. A wooden sign, hanging from a tree says ‘blind and steep’ ..(?) I lose the trail. Now I’m walking up a dry creek bed. Now I’m using my hands and feet to climb up a narrow gap between boulders. Now I’m standing in a clearing where another wooden sign says ‘ Sylvan Park’. I’m not lost anymore. I find the ancient stone steps and climb them to Franceschi Park. Now I’m sitting on an old rock wall surrounding the botanical garden. Time for walking meditation. I pay homage to the giant agaves, sycamore and pine trees. On top of mountain there’s another clearing bordered by huge eucalyptus trees. I walk around it on a shady trail that loops the mountaintop—then goes down the side where there’s a view of the Pacific Ocean clear to the islands off the coast of China. They’re really the Channel Islands but I like to tell people that. Feeling less adventurous, I take a short cut through the County Bowl. Even though I have a key ..the gates are open and the tour buses are there – so I skip down the aisles and watch the Roadies setting up the stage. I ask who’s playing and they say ‘Maroon 5’. I wonder if I’m gonna’ miss a good show. Maybe I’ll hang around and listen to the sound check. Then if I have an ounce of energy left, I’ll go up to the ticket window and ask ‘hey, what’s shakin’.

No comments: