Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dreamwork

I had a vivid dream last night. This morning I hear the echo of Fritz Perls going: “Make sure you take ownership of the different parts of your dream.”

The dream: I pull off of the 605 freeway ..park in a gravely construction yard and walk toward a trailer-office. Inside, there’s a guy in his twenties, dressed like a hiker, carrying a gun in a holster. He’s asking the clerk behind the counter for directions .. saying he wants to see more of California ..he turns to me and asks for a ride. I reply (telepathically) “No ..because of the gun that you are carrying.” He relies (telepathically) “Yes you will ..because of the gun that I am carrying.” I concede, thinking “Hey, I’ll make it a trip to Big Sur.” As we head down the 605 freeway, toward the coast ..he asks me why we aren’t heading up the 605, and toward the I5. I say (verbally this time) “Hey ..you want to see California, right ..not just another freeway.” He sits back with a satisfied look on his face. As I’m on that long swooping connector-road at the end of the 605, heading into Long Beach ..we hit traffic and come to a halt. He looks nervous and asks what we’re stopping for. I tell him I’ll go have a look and get out of the car ..surprised that he doesn’t object. Underneath the overpass, I walk into another trailer-office, where a surveillance-team is huddled around a computer. It’s somehow apparent to me that they’re tracking my carjacker, and I feel relieved ..telling them he’s right above us. I climb back into the car, the undercover cops are somewhere behind, and without a word, my carjacker flies out the passenger door ..on a surfboard. As he hovers above the traffic, I ask the cop how he does that. He looks at me and says “we don’t know” and I feel surprised, wondering how come they don’t know that if they’ve had him under surveillance.

Dreamwork: I am the car ..I am the gravely construction yard ..mechanical and characterless. I am the young man ..I am the gun ..calm and controlling. I am the surfboard .. flying unfettered. I am the surveillance-team ..secretly tracking my impulses. I am the cop ..confused and un-comprehending. I am the question ..asking myself how come I don’t know these things about myself. I raise my head up from the desk, and think: “I just might take that trip to Big Sur after all.”

A blurb about dreamwork can be found here ~>Fritz Perls

7 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

You are traveling the smooth and effortless road that takes you anywhere you wanna go... ocassionally you find uneven, not so smooth ground... it's what you make of it. Sometimes you are forced to do things you don't wanna go... maybe you just don't put up a fight, because the pressure is too much coming at you, and you fall under other's persuasion. You play along, but you're not really on the same page. In the end, you betray even your ownself... and yet you are so cool and have the power to easily escape all entrapments. You are amazed at your own ability/possibiities and yet perplexed at the illusion of inability.

Anywhere close? I love dreamwork. But I'm just better at interpreting my own. But that doesn't usually happen, until I write them out. I hope you didn't mind I gave it a shot :s

Bill said...

I am the road ..taking me anywhere I wanna go. I like that! Thanks Sarah ! ~~ =)

Shimmerrings said...

Whewwhhh... glad you liked. I hardly ever remember my dreams anymore, so nothing to work with, in my dreamtime :( But I had some wonderful teachers along the way. I miss the dreamtime.

brad4d said...

.. at toastmaster's Weds, Carole's speech was about lucid dreaming & last Sunday Jason, from the band Stages of Sleep, gave me the DVD of INK at Silver Screen, where he works.. I'm the cameraman, the editor and your story is a BEAUTY for me on so many levels, I thank you for validation.. "lose your mind and come to your senses" ~ F.P. ~ INK is linked on facebook profile "Brad Flaharty" & Beauty on ThinkTank

Bill said...

I'm glad it worked for you ..lucid dreaming is like when you're in a dream and know it, right? wish I had more of those ..

WAYWARD!! said...

hi!!
just stumbled upon ur blog.
dreams. wen i wake up from a dream i try to track it. bits and pieces. i try to analyse.but mostly in vain ....

it was nice to see how innovatively u have done it.

keep writing ...

i followin ur blog...

Bill Robertson said...

Thanks for stumbling by. It was a dream work method I learned in Gestalt psychology workshop ~>Fritz Perls ..if you’re interested. Keep trying.