Saturday, February 13, 2010

Toon town

Lately it seems like I’m living in a cartoon. I used to get this way on occasion, usually after sharing a spliff with my neighbor, but now it’s more like everyday ..spliff or no spliff. I watch Señor Jim walking home. He looks like a two-story dinosaur. He lives in a tudor-style house that looks like its made out of gingerbread. He just finished chatting with Dr Jones who, as the name implies .. looks like Indiana Jones. I’ve even started greeting him that way, imitating the low booming voice of his adversary Dr. Belloq in the movie. Fortunately he gets a kick out of it. Dr Jones is a vigilante. He patrols the neighborhood on a bicycle .. or sometimes on a stakeout with night-vision goggles and automatic weapon. He’s trying to keep Orange County developers below the LA County line. Unfortunately he sometimes blows the head off an innocent neighbor adding a deck. Today, however, it’s infiltrators from within that have got him on-edge. This could be anyone from high school students to dirt-bike riders. Apparently some guy named Sperling is bank rolling the operation. Dr Jones is not short on conspiracy theories.

I continue on a path leading to the County Bowl. ..stopping along the way to chat with Marleña through the window of a house that looks like something out of hobbit-land. She tells me Sugarland tickets go on sale tomorrow .. people are already camping out around the Bowl. David and Julianne appear out of nowhere ..dressed in saffron threads and ugg boots. Looking like a swami and goddess. I put my hands together in gassho. They say they walked down the steps of the Bowl ..but now they are looking for a trail to climb back up. The terrain looks kind of steep and overgrown to me ..so I offer to drive them back. Not a problem, David says ..and I hear Julianne go “here it is” ..and they vanish. I turn to ask Marleña if she saw anything remarkable about that ..but she’s disappeared too.

No comments: