Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Iconic discourse

I can see a day when text-based communication becomes obsolete. Sentences take too long to process. Images and video clips are more suited to the task. Graphemes will replace phonemes. Graphemes are like logos ..they convey concepts more quickly. All that’s required is a brief sensory flash, which decays rapidly so that the next impression can follow. This allows greater throughput and more rapid exchange of ideas. I believe that the mind of the future will be shaped more by images than words. Mental imagery will occur spontaneously among those who are “tuned-in” ..and will spread through the population like a virus. Viral marketing is already the buzz in advertising. Nobody reads a movie review anymore. They’ve got a buddy, with an iPhone, sitting in the front row at opening night. That way they’re already tuned-in ..receiving the look and feel of a film along with an emoticon that gives it a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, before the end of the first scene.

8 comments:

For Your Consideration said...

The lost art of penmanship??? How truly sad.....

Glenna Yong said...

The rise of ancient egyptian writings! =)

Shimmerrings said...

Interesting concept... many of us have already moved away from simple letter writing, with pen and paper. As much as I sometimes think that emails are impersonal, I type much faster than I can write. It's a fast paced world. But, to put things in the perspective of what Glenna says, lol, the rise of ancient Egyptian writings... well, that's almost like going backwards... or is that coming full circle??? Who knows what burned in the great fire at Alexandria. I sorta like language... I've only just begun to learn to communicate, effectively, for heaven sake. Don't know if I like all that... then again, I'm really good at symbols :o

Bill said...

For your consideration ~ Penmanship is not lost, only the script has changed.

Bill said...

Glenna ~ That’s right ..hieroglyphics are making a comeback .. = )

Bill said...

Sarah ~ Interesting comment. Who knows what was lost in the great fire at Alexandria. I’m a student of language. Reminds me of something I read during my studies: language is such a narrow channel of communication ..it can only suggest at what other people are thinking.

Shimmerrings said...

"Language is such a narrow channel of communication ..it can only suggest at what other people are thinking." I like...

Bill said...

..this presents the listener with a range of possible meanings ..

..at best, communication takes place when the listener infers the most likely meaning intended.