Monday, March 31, 2008

Well blended

I bought a blender that was designed by engineers at NASA. It was kind of expensive ..but I watched a demonstration at Costco ..and since my favorite drink is lunch, I figured it might be worth it. Last year I went through two cuisinarts and an osterizer. So, I took this miracle of modern technology home and, without reading the instructions .. loaded it with juice, bananas, yogurt, tofu, egg whites, frozen mangoes, strawberries and ice cubes ..figuring it could handle that ..and I could eyeball it the way I always do. I turned it on full-speed ..heard a loud crushing sound ..watched the concoction change color ..then stop moving. Prior experience taught me to wait until it was a swirling liquid ..so, I waited. It took about the same amount of time as before. I thought I’d been gypped. When I took a sip .. it was more like drinking a pudding than a smoothie. I thought maybe I hadn’t waited long enough ..so, next time I gave it a couple extra minutes. Now it was definitely a liquid ..but not very cold. For the next couple days I tried different things ..and got about the same results. So, I read the instructions. They said smoothies only take a couple of milliseconds .. and what I was doing was watching it turn solid ..then heat up and turn into a liquid again. If I had waited another couple minutes ..it would a’ been soup.

No comments: