Saturday, March 29, 2008

Conspiracy theory

Some people have a threshold for mental activity that is so low ~ an ordinary event can trigger a chain reaction.

I’m driving through downtown LA at night ~ yellow lights flash and I slam on the breaks ~ jackhammers are pounding ~ my teeth are chattering ~ and scenes from Tom and Jerry are flickering across the windshield ~ they’re taking turns hitting each other over the head with sledgehammers ~ the sound turns into machine gun fire ~ and my heart beats faster. I see flares and warning signs pop up everywhere ~ redirecting traffic down side streets and alleyways ~ following orders from the DA ~ not me ~ I get out of the car and walk across four lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic ~ that looks like the starting gate at a horse race. A group of street performers are rapping ~ police sirens are wailing ~ Tony Bennett sings ‘can’t take my eyes off of you’ ~ and shots go off like firecrackers. I run around the corner ~ duck into a bar door ~ order a beer with Jack Daniels ~ and tell the bartender about the shit going down outside ~ he tells me there's nothing to worry about ~ he's an undercover cop with with twenty years on the force.

No comments: