Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Crazy Charlie

The Celtic music coming from inside sounds mystical ..the warm westerly flow out here feels pleasurable, sweaty ..but pleasurable ..sunlight filters through the trees ..inner voices barely detectable ..feeling empty and forgetful ..birds singing ..digital symbols flicker by ..without meaning ..I just watch them cross my laptop screen ..I don’t know why ..solitude is short but sweet ..Charlie gets out of his tent by the creek ..hair everywhere ..shouting obscenities ..without meaning ..he rolls a cigarette ..while I pour coffee ..and ask if he’s well. "Why do those fucking birds cry like that?" "In English we call it singing." I say "..although some Asians cultures call it crying ..why, feeling Oriental?" "I feel like a Rottweiler from hell." "You smell like one too ..what’s the matter ..too toasty to sleep?" "Man, I slept on the ground last night." "Hey, the door was open." "Nah, it’s cooler down there ..besides, I pass open doors ..haven’t been through one in months ..don’t wanna start now ..it’s a habit that’s hard to break." "Can we drive down to the showers on the beach, or ..are car doors habit forming too ?"

5 comments:

NeverEnough said...

I love the Crazy Charlie stories. I must re-read this, as soon as I refill my wine glass...

elise said...

charlie sounds like quite the character!

I think i have a cd you would like. It's called appalachian journey by yo-yo ma and edgar meyer and another guy. it's really amazing.

my father is 45.

Lee William said...

Ohhh, a CD cite ..thank you ..I will check that out. Your father is so young ..this may be a script he retrieves whenever something sounds ‘foreign’ to him. Humor him.

elise said...

i have been. the only thing a child can do.

i signed his birthday gift as gandhi

Lee William said...

that's hilarious ..!