Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Prodigal son

I know my memory is not a very reliable record of events ..too many thoughts, feelings and other substances going around making revisions. I do recall, however, the deal my father made me when I turned eighteen ..I suppose that’s because it so dramatically changed the course of my life. He believed in me and had faith that I would hold up my end of the bargain. What bargain ..? He offered to buy me a car and pay my living expenses as long as I stayed in school ..which meant enrolling at the local community college. I remember doing my best to conceal my excitement and not let on that I was getting the better end of this deal. You see, at the time, I was still in love with my high school sweetheart. She was sixteen years old and her family had just moved to Eureka, California. So, I was making plans to follow them up there and maybe get a job working the Klamath or something. I was already packed. Now all I needed to do was borrow my dad’s rental car ..tell him I was going to run an errand ..throw my bags in the trunk and head north (he didn't actually live with us ..he was visiting from overseas). I figured I could drop the car off near a rental agency somewhere as soon as I got settled. I figured he’d be pissed ..but, in the long run, maybe he’d realize what a small price it was to pay for his son’s happiness. Those were the thoughts actually running through my head moments before he offered me ‘the deal’ ..which changed everything ..because now all I had to do was play it cool ..wait until I got car keys of my own ..then say: Sayonara Southern California.

No comments: