Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Paul

Paul was classified mentally unfit for service during the Vietnam war. He wasn’t crazy, nor did he try to act crazy ..it’s just that LSD mimics the effects of psychosis.That action persists even after the drug has left the system ..especially among frequent users. Fortunately, most of them know the difference, at least Paul did. There was a small celebration at his apartment (he’d been sweating his possible induction for weeks). After that, I lost track of him. Years later, while I was moving to Santa Barbara, I noticed a banana plantation growing on a hillside above highway 101. My puny brain told me that bananas don’t grow in the US. Then I learned that Paul had found a micro-climate where they did. With the help of a professor of wine-making at UC Davis, he started a business growing specialty bananas for high-end markets, as well as regular bananas for times when local supplies ran short. Not bad for a mentally unfit hippie. Actually, I did not make the connection between Paul and the plantation right away. I read about it in the paper the next day ..and saw a picture of him standing inside the plantation. Blew me away. I dropped by after surfing one day and met the professor’s daughter ..who told me that I had just missed Paul. She said that Paul sold his interest in the place a week before ..then disappeared. They couldn’t tell me where he went, but then they said ..well, that’s just like Paul now, isn’t it.

3 comments:

ecelliam said...

What a story, I'm very familier with Santa Barbara, I use to go there to visit people that were there at USCSB, SB is one of the most beautiful parts of the planet

Bill Robertson said...

Definitely has its charm ..

.. you might remember passing the little town of La Conchita, between Ventura and SB. That’s where the plantation was.

ecelliam said...

Yes of course, I know the whole erea, all the small towns north, and south of SB, I have good friend,lives in Carpenteria.