Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Online mirror

I’m sitting watching a flickering candle and wondering if I’m following the process. What process ..? The process I learned in a writing workshop I once took. Actually, I already know that I’m not. I say this because I’m not starting from the present moment, but from a place I remember yesterday, and the day before. Anyway, I want to say that I’m moving forward with a topic in mind ..but no clear idea of where it will lead. I have found that putting my journal online has been revealing. It’s put a mirror to my face and shown me what a pompous ass I am. Perhaps I’m not always so, but my writing often sounds pretentious and boastful. What do I mean boastful ..? Like I’ve got something to prove. What am I trying to prove ..? That I haven’t been slack ..I learned my lesson ..I can write from a so-called west coast literary tradition with the best of them ..whatever that means. Sort of stream of consciousness, I suppose. But that’s not how it sounds. It sounds crafted and arrogant. I want to say it sounds like I write from my head too much, but that’s not quite right. I write from the heart as well, but mostly with feelings of concern over how it’s going to sound to other people. Will it be entertaining enough, or engaging enough. But more importantly, does it fit the image I want others to have of myself. What image ..? That I’m smart and lead a fulfilling and eventful life. How embarrassing is that ..and downright vain. I may not be fully conscious of these feelings while I’m writing, but I get a sense of them now, while I’m reading. It sounds like I’m trying awfully hard to impress someone. I have no pretensions of being a good writer ..but at least an honest one, but these don’t even sound honest to me. Instead, I feel like my writing-practice becomes an exercise in impression-formation once I start thinking about putting it online.

8 comments:

sunny said...

me quedaré con tu espejo,
que es, como el mío,
una luz que brilla
en el vacío

mediterranean rainy days

Shimmerrings said...

And here I have been telling others about the west coast style of writing that I am impressed with, while you are not entirely pleased... and I wishing that I could write less from the heart and be simply more observational, from a writing point of view. Because I really don't like revealing as much, these days, as I have in the past... maybe people go through stages... open/closed/open/closed/open/closed... these days, I am more closed... yet I miss being open... rofl!... in any case, you do not sound crafted and arrogant... your writing is interesting... as well as allowing glimmers into your heart... guarded may be the better description... and there's nothing wrong with that. I could use a heavey dose of that!

Bill Robertson said...

Sunny,
yo también ..gracias!

Bill Robertson said...

Shimmerrings,

Oh, there’s definitely an impressive west coast style of writing. Not sure mine qualifies. Better examples are Ken Kesey, Tom Wolfe and Amy Tan.


..guarded is a gentler way of putting it ..thank you!

Shimmerrings said...

I'm gonna be picking up some of the Kerouac books for my beach trip in May... do you suggest reading them in the order that they were written?... I like glimpses into the heart/psyche of authors... have you ever read the original version of On The Road?

Bill Robertson said...

Sarah,
I have read ‘on the road’. I wouldn’t suggest reading them in order, although I would definitely start with ‘dharma bums’. Bill

Shimmerrings said...

Thanks... On The Road and Dharma Bums were the two that I wanted to start with... and I'll follow your advice and start with Dharma Bums.

Bill Robertson said...

good choice ~;)