Thursday, April 15, 2010

Light show

I woke up in the middle of the night to the tune of Windows XP starting up on my laptop. I thought I heard other noises as well, but couldn’t be sure. I slithered downstairs with a bat, but there was no one there ..my laptop was lit-up however (had been in sleep-mode). I mentioned it to my neighbor this morning expecting to get a laugh. Instead, I got an appeal to install lights and motion sensors along the creek. She said it was probably something on my deck that triggered it, and while I was thinking coyotes, possibly deer ..she was thinking people. She says there’s no substantial barrier between us and the street, and the creek bed invites who-knows-who. She goes on to say that the homeless population is definitely on the rise ..and wonders if I’d been in town recently. Her husband runs into them every now and then looking for a place to crash. She tells me we need motion detectors and lights to fend them off. I tell her I think that’s a good idea, and even act approvingly, but I’m thinking what a light show that would be. I may have run into one or two people in the past, looking for a back entrance to a concert at the bowl ..but mostly it’s members of the wildlife community I see.

7 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

I don't know if I'd wanna spoil the natural lighting unless you were truly afraid. We have motion sensitive lights that come on all the time, mostly it's the cats... or who knows what else. I've seen them come on when I didn't see a cat in sight, or anything else for that matter... and I think a lot of folks are overly paranoid about the homeless... course, you don't really want them roosting on your turf... good luck with that one.

David said...

I follow another blog on blogspot and sometimes I will click on the "next blog" tab and see what turns up. The reason that I comment on your particular blog is the Santa Barbara reference and the possibility of furry intruders lurking about.

I live in Ohio but CA has cast a spell on me that I can't shake. I lived in Costa Mesa for a six month period and that must have been enough to hook me for I still plan on moving back when the time is right. At present I do all of my searches in Santa Barbara county and the Santa Ynez area is very appealing. While reading about Santa Ynez I ran across a story that told of backporches of some of the farmhouses coming up with missing items and nobody knew who or what was doing the looting. One couple put up a camera and caught on tape what was going on. There was a fox that was taking their shoes and running off with them and they actually found its lair and there were over 20 pair of shoes there. (I said it must have been a female)

Anyway, when the time is right I will make my way back to CA and for the time being I do searches for properties, read about the area, and continue to plan and dream.

Good luck in all that you dream and pursue.

David

David said...

Forgot; saw that you like to write and I have a couple quotes that you might enjoy ... one serious, one humorous.

"Convey a sea of matter in a drop of language"

"There are three basic rules to writing a good novel ... unfortunately nobody knows what they are"

Vinisha said...

You thought wildlife, your friend thought people, I was thinking ghosts :D

Just finished watching a ghost movie :P

Bill Robertson said...

Sarah,
I think you’re on to something. The only thing roosting on our turf would be her paranoid fears about the homeless ..Thanks!

Bill Robertson said...

David,
That’s a great story ..thanks! Santa Ynez is cool. I’ve always been drawn to Santa Cruz . That would be my next destination. Best of luck in your pursuits.


A drop of language, I like that ..sounds better that trying to get a drink of water from a fire hose

Bill Robertson said...

Vinisha,
That’s funny :D ..psychologists may say we approached it with expectations from different scripts (the most recent ones in memory). Whatever. I really appreciate what you say.


Thanks!