Friday, May 11, 2007

Further investigation

C~c~c~cool day outside ..I’m listening to the birds ..Andy smells creatures that I never see, living in the creek next to me. Work has resumed on the Appalachian shack I’m happy to report. Arron says he’s keeping it low key ..not like the condos downstream. There’s an ‘onshore flow’ blowing inland. Andy gets on his feet ..lifts his nose ..and, with the focus of a laser beam ..we head upstream ..I’m not about to argue with a canine on a mission ..besides, I welcome the opportunity for further investigation. Along the way we meet Joe, who has moved into Rex’s old cabin ..he gestures like he owns everything ..declares his property off-limits ..and says that good fences make good neighbors ..yeah well, Rex gave me the combination to the gates a long time ago ..sounds like that’ll be changing soon. Now I feel a sense of gloom ..there are too many fences already. The sweet scent of ganja blows by ..coming from somewhere farther on. Around the bend, Andy and I meet a group of people: Kent, George ..a girl named Starshine ..and their dogs: Hero, Rusty and ..oh shit, I forget ..no wait, Luna. That’s it ..! Everyone likes Andy ..because Andy likes everyone ..and every living thing is his friend ..except, of course, those little creatures that I can’t see ..he tracks them but can’t say I’ve ever seen him actually catch one .. Kent tells me he’s not supposed to catch ‘em ..his job is to flush ‘em out ..perhaps trap ‘em. Later on, I’m walking home singing “Andy is a good ol’ dog ..he chases possum in a hollow log” at the top of my lungs ..from a bluegrass song ..I don’t remember the name ..oh wait, yes I do .. ‘Old dog Blue’.

5 comments:

cookiewonton said...

nice song :D

msb said...

funny.

Lee William said...

Thank you Cookie ..have you heard it before ..?

Lee William said...

Thank you Dakini ..that's the spirit in which I wrote it .. :)

cookiewonton said...

nope, haven't heard that one