Friday, April 20, 2007

New entrepreneurs

I wake up feeling pretty weird ..the toothpaste smears ..coffee spills ..it rained last night so the newspaper is soaked ..everything I touch turns to shit ..the toaster oven malfunctions ..and the top of the blender isn’t on right ..but there’s a momentary break in the clouds ..so, I lay the paper out to dry ..give the plants some sun ..walk up the road .. chat with a teenager sitting in a cherry ‘38 ford pickup ..because a friend of mine has one too ..he tells me he’s waiting for his girlfriend ..and they’re late for class ..I can hear them saying: “Really professor, there’s a long-haired lunatic out there ..!” I expect another visit from the police. Back inside, I experience a momentary break in consciousness ..and reawaken in the shower. Downstairs, the coffee is hot ..the newspaper is dry ..I sit down to breakfast ..and read about a group of marijuana entrepreneurs turning quiet suburban homes into hydroponic gardens ..in my old hometown no less (San Gabriel Valley) ..how ingenious ..until you get caught ..then I wonder ..if marijuana were decriminalized; perhaps a suburban homeowner wouldn’t wake up one mourning to find that his neighbor is a pot farmer ..and there’s a swat team outside the door.

No comments: