Friday, April 13, 2007

Day at the beach

I get up in the morning ..splash water on my face ..go outside .. sit on the deck and drink coffee while reading the newspaper. There are more reports that dinosaurs aren’t extinct ..they’re flying over my head ..and I think of ‘Leghorn Foghorn’ ..except I know he can’t fly. There's absolutely zero breeze ..I figure the windstorm must have blown over. I grab a towel ..put the top down and drive to Butterfly beach. Now I’m sitting in a powerful onshore wind ..watching the surf getting chopped to smithereens. I take a deep breath and jump in ..to the amazement of everyone sitting on the beach. Arctic currents have replaced the warm water that was here yesterday ..feels like an iceberg just melted ..the pain knocks the wind out of me ..my brain freezes up and goes numb. I ride a wind-wave back to shore ..cover myself in towels that people have donated ..and shake uncontrollably ..trying to imagine what they think of me. I hop in the car, figuring a few minutes at the sangha might do me some good ..but the roads are closed for construction ..and people are forced to use surface streets. So, I decide to take an alternate road winding into the mountains ..and get lost. I manage to find some relief by peeing in the woods ..but end up rattling around for about an hour and a half until I find a road I recognize. Now I’m sitting in the sangha surrounded by people meditating ..trying to keep my hands from shaking ..my lungs from breathing too heavily ..and still trying to imagine what people think of me.

6 comments:

cookiewonton said...

it's hard trying to think in the first person like that, I think you did a pretty good job of it though...

elise said...

zen man,

you weren't lost, thats where you were meant to go.this gray muddy place makes me wish for the ocean, no matter how cold it is. i'm glad you jumped in. mental alarm clock perhaps? or perhaps it was the temple...
either way sounds like a grand adventure mr. zen man.

Lee William said...

Cookie ~ It’s an ongoing practice ..the brain is wired to be social and vigilant about how we come across to others ..they’ve even found a brain center for it called the ‘caudate nucleus’ ..so, it’s our nature .. :)

Lee William said...

Elise ~ mr zen man ..you make me laugh ..I don’t think anyone’s called me that before ..mr space man ..yes ..but I like zen man better ..thank you.

You are right ..being lost in no different than being where I think I am all the time

it's the little things... said...

You are brave to brave that cold ocean!
Love this post - a great demonstration of all your little beach city has to offer...

Lee William said...

Little things ~ thanks ..even tho I thought the water was as warm as the day before.