Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Deception detection

I’m hiking up a trail wondering: does the building department protect the identity of people inquiring about construction permits ..or will my new neighbors end up hating me forever ..and are they really the new owners ..or a diversion set up by real estate developers so they can start excavating without permits (which can take forever in this town) ..or am I being paranoid ..distrusting soul that I am ..I do believe that I am being misled and I don’t like it ..after all, I’m smarter than I look ..and if it turns out that, I am just being paranoid ..well, I’m sure that my inquiries will remain anonymous ..another bend in the trail ..should I keep going or should I bail .. it feels all right so onward I go ..I think the ‘Phrenologists’ had it almost right ..they used to believe that a person’s ‘character’ could be traced to specific areas of the brain ..they even had a map for traits like ‘honesty’ and ‘integrity’ ..nowadays, we admit ..we do not have a clue where ‘character’ resides .. but we do know the location of various ‘mental abilities’ such as ‘speech recognition’ and ‘impulse control’ ..I wonder if they’ve discovered a site for ‘deception detection’ yet ..and if so, does it border on the site for paranoia ..?

No comments: