Friday, March 16, 2007

Night sweats

I wake up in the middle of the night with a jolt ..my anxieties are coming out of the closet .. pressing against my chest and squeezing my throat. I try to shout but no words come out. My thoughts are loud and clear though ..and they are broadcasting like an air raid siren: “You gotta stop treating your attorney like he’s just a necessary evil ..and you better do something about that dead eucalyptus tree in the backyard before it does something to you ..and you might want to spend some time helping Laura with her banking situation before it becomes a bail-out operation ..and when are you going to deal with the mice living in the kitchen ..aren't you afraid of contacting hantavirus ..? And how long have you been driving with a busted tail light ..and unpaid parking tickets ..unpaid taxes ..aphid attacks ..and what about that pile of discarded electronic devices ..or those unpaid invoices ..?!” My hands are shaking ..adrenaline is leaking into my stomach ..my nerve-endings are frayed .. and I feel like my brain has turned against me ..I inhale deeply ..climb out of bed ..drive down to the shore ..run across the sand ..and dive into the sea. I’m laying on the beach ..waves crashing over me ..when a young bleached blonde helps me to my feet .. and says: “.. isn’t it funny how your thoughts gather ‘round ..and attack you in your sleep.”

6 comments:

it's the little things... said...

What a relief to read this post, as I thought it was just me!

Lee William said...

How comforting it is to hear you say that ..I thought I was the only one ..;)

Newsandseduction said...

you are a brave person. an inspiration.

elise said...

oh the night, it's where my emotions run high and I'm unable to control anything that comes at me... especicially stress.
i wish i had the beach as close. lake erie really doesn't do the trick.

identity crisis said...

oh you aren't alone...love the image...

elise said...

i think i almost forgot there were more than ten states.
heh.
thanks for reminding me :)