Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Chatter bots

A programmed ‘chatter bot’ opens Yahoo’s messenger service ..goes into the member directory ..looks up user ids ..and, for each one it finds ..opens a Yahoo message box and fills it with canned chat ..sending out invitations for people to look at them on a website where the number of page-views gets tallied ..giving someone the numbers they need to command higher fees for the banner ads you see. I usually respond by inviting them to look at my website first ..knowing full well that chatter bots are not programmed to listen. My college roommate used to do something similar when people came to the door handing out religious pamphlets. He always acted so delighted, telling them how much he loved these. He would ask them to wait at the door ..while he went into a hallway closet where he kept boxes full of pamphlets that other people had given him ..he’d select one at random ..and return saying: “I would like to show my gratitude by giving you one of mine to read.” Turns out those religious messengers weren’t programmed to listen either ..they usually just handed them back saying: “Sorry ..I can’t do that.” My roommate responded by acting hurt ..taking the pamphlet back ..and saying: “Well, if you won’t read mine ..then I’m not going to read yours.” ..and close the door. However, once in a while, someone would come to the door ..and actually sit on the steps and read one. My roommate didn’t mind inviting them in for a chat. So, who knows, maybe one day I too will find an IM waiting in my box from a ‘chatter bot’ who actually took the time to listen.

3 comments:

identity crisis said...

Maybe they'll be programmed to pretend to listen.

Lee William said...

true ..then you get a bunch of stock replies that lead nowhere ..

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried Stankaa?
http://www.stankaa.com