Monday, June 3, 2013

Kālī

When I first met Kāli, she told me she was sick of living in the contaminated atmosphere surrounding Southern California. It wasn’t just the air pollution. She felt that way about the food and culture as well. At 20 she was already an established DJ ..specializing in electronic Eastern music. However she was about to stop performing. “I’m tired of playing to a room full of zombies.” She was also looking for a place in Ojai, which she felt was a more healthy community. There she could take time to compose and deepen her commitment to spiritual practice. “Sounds refreshing” I said ..and told her about a Buddhist monastery on a nearby mountaintop where she could go meditate whenever she wanted. “Ohhh, you have no idea how wonderful that sounds right now.” Actually, I thought ..yeah I do. But I just smiled and gave her a hug. I had no doubt she’d find her way. [continued]