Thursday, February 14, 2013

Romance of the absurd

Writing contest entry:  I was her dance partner at the dances after the high school football game . Her name was Carol. She was dark-haired and devastating. We’d sit with friends in a circle on the dance floor. When the music started she’d look over at me through those dark bangs, rock her head mischievously, take my hands and pull me up. We danced to rock and roll ..our arms clasped around each other’s neck. Head-to-head she’d look at me with an alluring smile that wouldn’t quit. It persisted while I lay in bed at night. This has gotta’ be love I felt. I was fifteen. My friends thought I was crazy “You’re way out of her league, bro.” I didn’t care what they said. I figured they were envious.
At the last dance I took a chance and tried to kiss her. She pulled back. I persisted and offered to walk her home. “I’ve got a ride” she replied. My heart sank. At a party that weekend I managed to make-out with someone else. How I haven’t a clue. I was such a nerd. My heart wasn’t into it though. She did manage to leave a bunch of hickies on my neck.
Monday morning I shared a little ganja with friends, spotted Carol across the quad and, feeling no inhibitions, called her. Then I ran through the quad and managed to trip and fall down right in front of her. She helped me up ..looked at my neck and gasped at the marks I had completely forgotten. “Will you go out with me ..?” I blurted out. “You've got to be kidding” she replied. “Let me explain” I said. She went “look at your eyes ..you must be stoned!” Our relationship, as it was, went no further. Football season was over.