Thursday, February 7, 2013

Declining memory

I don’t think I’m losing my memory. No ..it’s more like I’m blurring the lines that separate memories. I’m connecting people and events that never occurred together in the first place. For instance, the other night I was watching the movie ‘Time Travelers Wife’ ..and Jen came to mind, the person who originally recommended it. That’s OK. However later on I was thinking about someone else, Andrea ..and suddenly I’m sensing the presence of ‘Time Traveler’s Wife’ as though she were the one who recommended it. In fact we never talked about it. It took me a moment to realize that the only connection between her and the film is that she works at the same place as Jen, which is really no connection at all. I wonder if there’s a word for this type of condition. Hyper connectivity ..? Perforated boundaries ..? The older I get ..the more loosely organized memory becomes. Am I losing memories ..? No ..it’s more like I’m losing my mind.

No comments: