Monday, July 12, 2010

Drop in the ocean


The broken BP rig is leaking about 8,820 tons of crude oil into the Gulf every day. It is sickening the ocean and killing marine life. Believe me, I grieve. However, what worries me even more is what we don’t see. A little over half that amount gets burned and released as auto emissions into the skies of Los Angeles every day. That’s somewhere in the vicinity of 4,740 tons of hydrocarbons a day. It is sickening the air we breathe and causing debilitating respiratory problems. Sustained exposure to hydrocarbons compromises the body’s defense system resulting in ailments such as chronic bronchitis and pneumonia. If you don’t believe me, check out an emergency room in L.A on a smoggy summer day. What is even more insidious is what crosses the mother’s placenta, and gets absorbed by the human fetus. Toxins related to hydrocarbons are known to impair prenatal development. This accounts for a higher incidence of developmental disorders such as autism, attention-deficit and dyslexia. Sometimes impairment doesn’t show up until later in life when it becomes visible as signs of depression or schizophrenia. I believe the human suffering caused by addiction to fossil fuel is immeasurable. It makes the Gulf oil spill seem like a drop in the ocean.


4 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

Very interesting information... are these, indeed, facts... or theories, regarding autism, attention-deficit and dyslexia? I agree, we need to ditch the fossil fuels... by that same token, I am totally against nuclear power, which I was sad to see Obama indorse. What a world we have created... and Mother Nature is shaking us off like a bunch of fleas... have you seen 2012?

Bill Robertson said...

Haven’t seen 2012 ..athough I think I must.

It’s factual ..but there are so many other variables involved it’s hard to see a direct relationship. A lot of people turn out just fine. Mexico City is far worse ..I have a theory that the only thing keeping residents alive is the amount of chili they eat.

Shimmerrings said...

Lol, that may, indeed, be true...

2012 is more like a documentary... and a lot of the info is repetitive... but it's still very interesting...

Bill Robertson said...

Thanks ..next time I see it on the shelf I won't just pass it by.