Thursday, July 8, 2010

Charlie


Charlie has always shifted back and forth between homelessness and rent and responsibilities. Like many, I suspect he gets tired of living one way ..and seeks refuge in another. He sorta’ fits my theory about the cyclical nature of human settlement. He’s a Vietnam vet ..went to college on the GI Bill ..worked as a landscape and irrigation foreman ..and head chef at a resort in Encinitas. He took medication for hyperactivity during childhood and suffers post-traumatic stress from the war. He gets easily bored if he stays in one place or job for too long. Last spring he found a grove of wild bamboo growing off the LA River near Boyle Heights. Using his landscape and irrigation skills, he fashioned a kind of oasis. “It’s a place of serenity ..” says another local transient. Since then, Charlie’s been supplementing his income by fixing broken toys he finds in the detritus of West LA ..then selling them at flea markets in East LA.

6 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

Yet another fascination Charlie story...

Shimmerrings said...

er... that's fascinat"ing"...

Bill Robertson said...

I'm sure glad you find them so ..

Bill Robertson said...

I hope I'm not being too analytical ..it's my way of explaining him to myself.

Shimmerrings said...

I love his character, at least I love your minds journey with his character... I don't know why... well, I could explain it but it would take miles and miles of words that would have no meaning, in the end, anyways... and, really, writing, very much, is analytical, in and of itself... somewhat...

Bill Robertson said...

It is ‘loosely’ based on a real character ..with tons of literary license added.

That is sooo true ..writing is such an analytical process.