Friday, December 12, 2008

Net interest

I admit I don’t follow pop culture ..I have no idea who P Diddy is. But I am fascinated by things that happen over the Internet .. and that’s usually how I find out what’s happening in pop culture. The Internet has the power to survive a devastating attack ..and keep sending messages; no celebrity can compete with that. Samantha Ronson tried to stop a story from appearing on the net ..only to see it amped, replicated ..and get more distorted with each re-telling. A car accident, that happened over a year ago, involving Lindsay Lohan ..turned into a tale of betrayal and intrigue with bloggers accusing Ronson of making money by setting up Lohan for the paparazzi. Ronson fought back by hiring a high-power attorney from the East Coast, who apparently had no idea what kind of power he was dealing with on the West Coast. They filed a defamation suit. The result wasn’t exactly what they expected ..a small-time blog got a big-time audience ..spawning even more salacious stories about Lohan and Ronson. Now she’s suing him for incompetence ..and he is counter-suing for unpaid fees ..saying he cannot work with “celebrity trash.” Next time I think he should try finding out what he’s up against .. because there’s no way to retract statements once they’re on the net ..information persists. However, I don’t think he should underestimate himself ..his lame attempts at litigation made him quite a successful provider of “celebrity trash.”

2 comments:

cookiewonton said...

It still surprises me (though I should be immune by now) how many people follow every minute detail of celebrity lives (and I'm not meaning you, Lee - the fact that you don't recognize one of Puffy's, Puff-Daddy's, Sean-Puffy-Combs' numerous ridiculous pseudonyms is refreshing). Days ago I went to cnn's homepage and noticed that an article about Jennifer Aniston (sp?) "baring all" for some magazine was listed right above another article about the death of Bettie Page. The Bettie Page article was quickly replaced by some major news piece, but Jennifer Aniston is still front and center today (I guess it's major news! she's wearing only a tie!). And as for "baring all" - I would like to point out, there is no nipplage. I forgot my point...oh yeah, a well-known figure who actually tries to keep a private life doesn't matter in our society anymore. Fans often think they're already dead. The celebrities who make grand statements about needing personal space are usually the ones who use those very setups as publicity stunts. And it seems as if so much of America eats it up like fruit loops. Is it just boredom? Escapism?

By the way - the check-outage of nipples (or lack thereof) wasn't due to boredom - I wanted to see how she measured up alongside Bettie (no, not size-wise). My opinion...no contest. In an age without botox, lipo, or photoshop - a woman in her 30's doing what Page did was freakin' awesome. And she still has a following - let's see if "the Rachel", Lohan, Paris, or Britney can swing that in 50 years.

I'll bet you an Original Chocolate GoldJesus they can't.

lee said...

Hooray for Bettie Page ..!

Sounds like these wannabes owe her a great big debt of gratitude for their own gutless careers.

I also admire Madonna ..probably because I don’t know any better ..but I think she opened the door for many female performers today.

My favourite is Patti Smith who I know opened the door for the more clever and enduring female singer-songwriters of the day.

When I follow celebrities it’s more for to watch them grow .. and learn what made them what they are ..and see if there’s any merit to it. So, for me ..it may be a little bit of boredom or escapism ..but I like to think it’s more out of human interest ..seeing what people have to overcome to achieve their status.

I’d admire people like bruce springsteen or melissa etheridge ..who got there by sheer talent ..and being genuine.

Bettie Page was freakin' awesome ..

Thanks Cookie ..!