Friday, August 1, 2008

Observation deck

Did ADD start with tree shrews or humans ..? Do intoxicants play a role in maintaining the ecosystem or are there giant squid lurking beneath the surface ..? I wonder if I’m sufficiently hydrated or having absorption problems. Am I forgetting something ..? Oh, yeah ..I wonder if fence-sitters are the same as flip-floppers. I hear sirens ~ no, those are my ears ringing. What brings some thoughts to mind and buries the rest ..? What’s with all the annoying questions ~ and so few declarative statements ..? Could be self-doubt ~ or the process of analytical-thought. I don’t know which. Where am I going with this ..? I have no idea. Oh shit, I also don’t have time to chat with my neighbor right now ~ but it’s pretty obvious I have nothing else to do ~ better think of something fast ~ nothing comes to mind ~ except maintain eye contact and smile a lot ~ but not too much otherwise he'll think I’ve lost my mind ~ oh, and don’t forget to nod at the appropriate times.

Photo of a tree shrew ~ the first mammal to be able to focus attention ~ and shift attention ~ with equal ease. I admire these little creatures.

14 comments:

Red said...

I have mastered the head nod and the righ places to put the, "Yeahs, and uh-huhs"

If you should need some coaching, just let me know.

Lee William said...

Yeah ~ How do I keep from talking too much ..I tend to start a monologue that has to run its course to keep me from forgetting what I want to say .. but I think maybe it’s ok to forget what I want to say and just respond to what the person in front of me is saying ..I spend way too much time inside my head .. :)

Jenny said...

Focus & shift attention, this brings me back to when I was around 15 years old. I remember how quick and jumpy the conversations with freinds used to go.

I'm still able to keep and change attention, but in those days I could focus on plenty of topics at the same time. At 32, that's not really possible. :)

Lee William said...

Jenny ~ how funny and how true ~ I admire kids for that ~ I try to do it from time to time ..but it doesn’t work ..lol.

Shimmerrings said...

Isn't the little creature adorable... what eyes. Nodding the head at the right time is important, along with the right mouth movements to go along with the nods :)

I love the friends who can talk real fast and switch subjects just as fast, before the sentence is sometimes finished. I love folks with whom you can carry on conversations with more than one person at a time... and if you pause to answer one, you can go right back to answer the other one without skipping a beat, and they're right there with you.

Ande said...

I really admire these people who can hold several conversations at once. They seem to advance in life and work before everyone else…I have somewhat mastered this today after much practice, as a teenager I always felt horrible awkward when trying to hold a conversation with people who mastered this skill, myself putting in a desperate yeah when the circle of friends moved to new spheres.

Lee William said...

Shimmerrings ~ You have the tree shrew to thank for that ..;)

Lee William said...

Ande ~ In my humble opinion ..it’s best to start with what comes natural ..because I don’t think it’s necessarily true that people who switch fast get ahead more ..perhaps in sales ..but not all professions. Consider the computer geek who invented social networking ~~>Johnny

Shimmerrings said...

I agree with lee william, ande... I am not advanced, I am more like attention deficit and get bored easily :P

Lee William said...

I’m bi-polar ~ I swing from extremely focused .. to endlessly scattered and diffused .. :P

Jenny said...

To be good at multitasking can be useful.

Yet, I prefer talking to people in a calm and pensive way. Focusing on one thing properly at a time. Has to do with temperament, I suppose. :)

Lee William said...

I agree ..I think they're all useful ..even better when you can choose .. ;)

Ande said...

Hi,
About old Norse music, look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I3_Mo66MJM

There is more of course, the Swedish Träd gräs och stenar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZvx9UdPaA

It's from the Swedish "Gärdesfesten" 1971. Just behind from where I work (!).

Lee said...

Ande ~ thank you ..! Great drumming ..almost medeval sounding ..I like it