Monday, July 7, 2008

Local circuit

I duck down a side-street ~ past a row of funky-looking bungalows that lead to the County Bowl (SB’s Greek theater) ~ along the way I stop and chat with Marlene who tells me she saw the Alison Krause/Robert Plant show ~ and boy did they sound sweet ~ I go to the new Bowl entrance ~ that replaced the old chain-link fence ~ that I could get in to ~ but not anymore ~ everything’s wrought-iron and stone now ~ no big deal ~ I’ll go to the football field ~ I pass the adobe box office ~ where LucindaWilliamsBenHarperBlackCrowes catch my eye ~ then across a busy street ~ through the tennis courts ~ up to the high school ~ across the round-about in front of the stately-looking building ~ where I locate the path to the stadium ~ which looks like a bowl too ~ I jog across the spongy field ~ up and down a few steps ~ sit on the rim ~ catch my breath ~ watch the sunset ~ feel a sundowner wind ~ see smoke coming from the canyon ~ and wonder when I’ll run into Roberto again.

4 comments:

Red said...

I had sene Big Sur on the news and wondered if you were OK. At least you are able to get on line, so I ma hoping that is a good sign?!

Lee William said...

Red ~ Yes it is a good sign ~ thank you ..! The fire in Santa Barbara, where I live, is under control and didn’t burn any homes that I’m aware of. However, the fire in Big Sur, where I go for vacation, is still burning ..no more homes are at risk but they say it’s going to smolder from now until wintertime.

Jen said...

I hope this fire will be under control in Big Sur too. Are bush fires frequent in the whole of California? In Sweden they seem less serious. Good that no homes were burnt. It most be devastating for wildlife.

Lee William said...

Jen ~ bush fires come and go in calif ~ it depends on the rainfall ~ which has been low for the last couple of years ~ and yes, Big Sur is a wildlife sanctuary ~ I'm afraid to look