Friday, April 25, 2008

Crazy Charlie

While other members of my peer-group were spending summers at the mall ..I was hanging out with my college buds in Laguna Beach ..it had a cool point-break and was ‘the place’ for mind-altering recreation. So, while followers of fashion were racking up credit card debt .. I was sitting on the beach soaking up the elements. One evening ..after a day in the surf ..we were sitting around a fire. I remember watching Charlie ..standing in about two feet of water .. calling to somebody out there ..like waayyy out there .. yelling: “Can you hear me ..?” “Can you hear me ..?” “Yeah ..I thought so”. Then he fell to his knees and hollered “Caam uhrn” (which I later learned meant ‘thank you’ in Vietnamese). I asked my Compañeros what Charlie was on. They said ‘nothing’ ..because they knew better than letting him near anything that might contribute to his condition. But, at that moment, I would have given anything to see what he was seeing ..because he looked so tuned-in. He was living with something I didn’t have ..calm in the face of the unknown. After that, my own ‘training’ ..dealing with theories of ‘rational behaviour’ ..seemed like a web of vague ideas .. real life passed through it like water ..the only thing keeping it together was .. vanity. Here we were trying to help people overcome their delusions ..when I couldn’t even tell what kept me from accepting my own delusions as real. I’m not so sure there’s that much difference between ‘delusions’ and my own ‘simulated’ view of reality.
Continued ~>[link]

3 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

I think everything is real... and that we just experience different realities... to understand, we need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes... how can we expect to help anyone, if we do not first accept them, where they are at? Who are we to say that what someone else is experiencing is not real... it's real to them, therefore it exists.

Lee William said...

Oh, I agree with you ..the US has multiple cultures as well as multiple realities ..there’s as many as there are people ..and probably many many more ..lol

Shimmerrings said...

Exactly :)

... and I always say that the Creator has many faces... and we are ALL just a different face of the Creator.