Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Road test

Whoaaaa ..I’m at the neuro lab where they have been injecting me full of mind-altering substances ..shooting burning rays of light into my eyes ..and recording my brain waves. Then, just when I’m starting to get comfortable, a lab technician, in a long white coat, opens the door, switches on the light and says “we’re through ..you’re free ..bye ..bye..” I stumble out into blinding sunlight ..magnolia blossoms loom up ..giant humming birds zoom by ..and my daydreams get mixed with the daylight. I ignore the doctor’s advice and drive myself home. About a quarter of the way there, the steering wheel swells up like a balloon and moves off-center ..the gearshift turns into licorice and stretches out of shape ..even the knob turns into styrofoam ..outside, white lines and road signs streak by like stars in hyperspace ..up ahead, the road disappears into a tiny black hole.

No comments: